Springfield breaks ground on new school

NEW MIDDLETOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Springfield schools passed a levy in May 2013 to help fund a new elementary school. Saturday, a ground breaking was held at the construction site.

Springfield Elementary School Principal Tom Yazvac might not have gotten much sleep last night, but you couldn’t tell Saturday. He showed up with a smile on his face as the principal of 18 years helped break ground on a new elementary school that has been years in the making.

“It is hard to describe. It is something we have dreamed about forever. Sleep does not come easily when you are anticipating this wonderful project,” said Yazvac.

Some parts of the original building are 91 years old and in deplorable condition. And on top that, additions to the old building brought added security risks.

“They put kindergarten classrooms right when you come in the front door, so we couldn’t stop anyone from entering the building. Even though we could buzz them in, they could go right to a kindergarten classroom,” said Yazvac..

The new school will be built next to the intermediate and high schools. It’s projected to cost about $12 million to build, 48 percent of will come from the state of Ohio. The other 52 percent will come from the community after a levy was passed last year.

“We live in a great community, and although it was turned down many, many times, I had no doubt that we would pass this,” said Lindsay Wolfe, teacher. “It is going to be exciting for everybody.”

Perhaps it will be most exciting for the students who will be learning with state of the art technology.

“Our new building is going to have pods of classrooms for collaborative learning areas, which is going to set up ideal conditions for all students and all of their needs” said Yazvac.

Wolfe said she thinks the students will get acclimated to the new environment quickly.

“It is amazing what these kids bring in and their knowledge of the technology that they have in their homes, and now they are going to have that at school,” said Wolfe.

Construction will begin in June, and the new school is scheduled to be complete by late spring or early summer of next year.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s