Searchers undecided who will pay for airliner hunt

In this March 10, 2014 file photo, a woman looks at Malaysian planes next to a sign made and written by the public, wishing for safe return of passengers aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 plane at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia. Relatives of five people on board the missing Malaysian jetliner are trying to crowd source a $5 million reward for information about what happened to the plane. The group says it "wants to provide a substantial incentive for anyone who knows the truth to come forward." The Boeing 777 disappeared on March 8 while carrying 239 people from Malaysia to Beijing. (AP Photo/Daniel Chan, File)
In this March 10, 2014 file photo, a woman looks at Malaysian planes next to a sign made and written by the public, wishing for safe return of passengers aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 plane at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia. Relatives of five people on board the missing Malaysian jetliner are trying to crowd source a $5 million reward for information about what happened to the plane. The group says it "wants to provide a substantial incentive for anyone who knows the truth to come forward." The Boeing 777 disappeared on March 8 while carrying 239 people from Malaysia to Beijing. (AP Photo/Daniel Chan, File)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) – Countries searching for the missing Malaysian plane have yet to agree on how to share costs, an Australian search leader said Tuesday.

Malaysian officials were in the Australian capital Canberra to discuss the next phase of the seabed search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 that is thought to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew on board.

Malaysia is in charge of the search because the Boeing 777 is registered in that country. But Australia is coordinating the search because it is the closest country to where the plane is thought to have crashed. Most of the passengers were Chinese and their government is playing an active role in the search.

“We’re still to negotiate the burden-sharing with, for example, Malaysia,” Australia’s Joint Agency Coordination Center head Angus Houston told Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.

A seabed search of the most likely crash site, using an unmanned remote controlled submarine, ended last month without finding any trace of the plane.

Australia is contracting private operators to embark on a much larger search using powerful sonar equipment. The new search is expected to take more than eight months.

The Australian government expects to spend 90 million Australian dollars ($84 million) on the search by July 2015. But the actual cost to Australia will depend on how quickly the wreckage can be found and how much other countries are willing to contribute.

Treasurer Joe Hockey said his government would not shirk its financial responsibility to conduct the search in Australia’s search and rescue zone.

“It is understood that the plane went down in waters that are our responsibility,” Hockey told reporters in Sydney. “And there is a cost to having responsibility. And we don’t shirk that. We accept our responsibility and we’ll pay for it.”

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

blog comments powered by Disqus