WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) – Eleven people have filed to fill the seat left open by the death of Trumbull County Commissioner Paul Heltzel.
Among them are a current mayor and several local council members. Precinct committee members from the Trumbull County Democratic Party will meet July 21 to vote on the replacement.
The candidate who is chosen will serve as interim commissioner, and the seat will be on the ballot in November.
Heltzel died June 30 at his Howland home after a long illness. He had been a commissioner since 2004 and was in the middle of his third term.
The candidates are:
- Lisha Pompili Baumiller, a Hubbard councilwoman
- Brent Berkman of Warren
- Darryl Black of Bristol
- Mauro Cantalamessa of Warren, brother of Warren Safety-Service Director Enzo Cantalamessa
- Sherry Cox-Callaway
- Glenn Holmes, mayor of McDonald
- Ken Kubala of Howland
- John Moliterno, a Girard councilman
- Steven Papalas, a Niles councilman
- Tommy Perry
- Michael Scala