Orwell house fire accidental

ORWELL, Ohio (AP) РA house explosion that killed a woman here and critically injured her boyfriend has been ruled accidental.

The Ohio State Fire Marshal’s office said the house in the village of Orwell was filled with natural gas that spread through the plumbing after a toilet continuously ran and its water well became empty.

The highway patrol said that the couple had been smelling gas for weeks, and that the house exploded Wednesday when resident James Ortiz lit a cigarette.

The blast gave Ortiz second and third-degree burns and killed his girlfriend, 27-year-old Malerie Nick of Fairport Harbor.

Residents as far as 5 miles away reported hearing the explosion.

Orwell is in southern Ashtabula County, just over the Trumbull County line.

 

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s