Cigarette likely cause in fatal fire

WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) – Fire investigators have ruled a July 16 fire in Warren that killed 75-year-old Loan Vang was started by a cigarette.

Initially, it was suspected that a clothes dryer in the basement of the Columbia Place home ignited the fire, but the dryer was only burned on the outside.

Investigators said the cigarette likely ignited some clothing on the floor near the dryer.

Crews found Vang’s body lying on the basement floor.

Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle said he believes Vang was alerted by the smoke detectors in her house and went to the basement to investigate when she became overcome with smoke.

Nussle said Vang was a recipient of the city’s smoke detector giveaway and she had working detectors on every level of the two-story home.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s