EVENDALE, Ohio (AP) – A fire chief says explosions and a fire at a southwest Ohio grain silo began with a spark in a vacuum that pulls dust off the grain.
The fire Friday caused heavy damage at the large Bunge North America facility in the village of Evendale. No injuries were reported.
The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://cin.ci/1tzpfXf ) reports firefighters remained at the site this weekend, checking for hot spots. The structures that needed checked included one where the fire sparked, which is as tall as a 22-story building.
Evendale’s fire chief says the system that runs water through the facility in case of a fire wasn’t working.
A spokeswoman at Bunge North America headquarters in St. Louis has said the agribusiness and food ingredients company is working with the fire department.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)