BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – A family escaped an early morning fire at their home in Boardman Tuesday.
Crews were called about 4 a.m. Tuesday to the apartment above the DNM Auto Dealership in the 5800 block of Market Street.
The family woke up to the smell of smoke, and all members of the family made it out of the house safely.
Firefighters believe the blaze started in the basement.
There was no working smoke detector in the rental unit.
No injuries were reported, and authorities have not determined the cause of the fire or how much damage was done.
“These occupants, these residents are very fortunate to make it out with their lives, so we’re very fortunate for that,” Boardman Fire Chief Mark Pitzer said. “That’s my only piece of advice, make sure you have working smoke detectors.”