YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – If you have noticed you have a lot more trash during the holidays, you are not alone.
In fact, the Mahoning County Green Team reports a 25 percent increase in garbage the week of Christmas. To keep all that trash out of the landfill, the Green Team reminds everyone that wrapping paper and cardboard boxes are also recyclable. So instead of dragging it all to the curb, put it in your bin.
“Wrapping paper is paper. It can go in your curbside bin if you participate in the curbside recycling program. It can also go to one of our many drop off sites. There are over 30 in our county,” Green Youngstown program coordinator Jennifer Jones said.
Christmas tress also can be recycled, with the Green Team reusing the trees as fish habitats in area lakes. Trees can be dropped off from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. now through Jan. 31 at the following locations:
- Austintown: Austintown Township Park, 6000 Kirk Road
- Berlin Township: Township building, 15823 W. Akron-Canfield Road
- Canfield Township: Fire Station, 5007 Messerly Road
- Craig Beach/Milton Township: Next to fire station, 1979 Grandview Road
- Ellsworth Township: Fire station, 6036 S. Salem-Warren Road
- Goshen Township: Maintenance garage, 12649 Seacrist Road
- Green Township: Cemetery at State Route 165 and Beaver Creek Road
- Jakcson Township: Township Building, 10613 Mahoning Avenue
- Lowellville Village: Street Department, 3 W. McGaffney
- New Middletown/Springfield: Recycling Center, 10720 Struthers Road
- Poland Township: Road department, 7508 Clingan Road
- Smith Township: Township Building, 846 N. Johnson Road
- Struthers City: Trees will be picked up at the curb
- Youngstown: CCA (Old South Branch Library), 1771 Market St.
Wrapping paper also can be dropped off at these sites.