SHARPSVILLE, Pa. (WKBN) – Heavy smoke and flames heavily damaged an apartment complex in Sharpsville.
Crews were called at 3:45 p.m. Monday to the four-plex at 116 Wakefield Drive. When they arrived, heavy smoke could be seen pouring from the windows of the two-story structure.
Nicole Vanater called 911. She lives in an apartment near the one that caught fire and said she saw flames shooting from the front of the building.
“When I came out the flames were so intense. I don’t know how you would have got out,” Vanater said. “They had to calm me down because I was a little freaked out because I’ve never had something so close happen.”
All four apartments were occupied and everyone was able to get out safely.
Vanater also helped track down a dog that was in the apartment where the fire started.
Sharpsville Fire Chief Andy Totin said he thinks the fire started in a couch in one of the units and quickly spread through the shared attic.
“It took us a good half hour, 45 minutes to get it under control,” Totin said. “There’s extensive damage there. It’s gutted.”
Residents are not being allowed back into the building until further notice. The Red Cross is assisting the residents.