Blocked chimney flue blamed in Ohio carbon monoxide deaths

Three teens were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in Troy, Ohio.

TROY, Ohio (AP) – Officials have determined a blocked chimney flue at a southwest Ohio home caused carbon monoxide poisoning that led to the deaths of three children and left a fourth in critical condition.

They were found unresponsive Friday in Troy, roughly 20 miles north of Dayton. A 13-year-old girl and her 14-year-old sister died that day. Their 13-year-old cousin died Sunday. Her 8-year-old brother is hospitalized.

Assistant fire chief Matthew Simmons tells the Dayton Daily News (http://bit.ly/1zUqq5N ) a flue pipe connected to the furnace didn’t properly vent the colorless, odorless gas.

The children had felt ill for days. They lived with their grandmother, who was hospitalized with pneumonia Friday.

An attorney for a couple who own the home has said they weren’t aware of furnace problems and didn’t know children lived there.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s