No new suspects sought in slaying following acquittal

BEAVER, Pa. (AP) – Authorities say they don’t plan to pursue new suspects in a shooting death last year following the acquittal of a man charged in the slaying.

Jurors in Beaver County deliberated for about two hours Thursday night before acquitting 22-year-old Tyrone Savage in the May homicide of 23-year-old Anthony Slappy Jr.

District Attorney Anthony Berosh told the Beaver County Times (http://bit.ly/1DKmtSd ) that prosecutors had been convinced of the defendant’s guilt but “Obviously, the jury wasn’t.”

Defense attorney Stephen Colafella said he was happy about the verdict but feels his client’s safety is still a concern.

Friends of the victim and the defendant had a series of scuffles Thursday and Colafella said Savage’s family had been threatened. A man mentioned during trial testimony was shot April 15 but is recovering.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s