ATLANTA (MEDIA GENERAL) – For the second year in a row, Atlanta tops Orkin’s list for the worst mosquito city in the country. The pest control company ranks cities based on the number of mosquito customers it serviced in 2014.
Nine cities in the southeast are included in the top 20. But, other areas such as Michigan, New York and Ohio rank high as well.
June, July and August are prime mosquito months in most areas, according to Orkin. Warmer temperatures in the southern U.S. extends the mosquito season there from April to October.
Top 20 worst mosquito cities:
- Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
- Dallas – Fort Worth
- Charlotte, N.C.
- Nashville, Tenn.
- Memphis, Tenn.
- Grand Rapids – Kalamazoo – Battle Creek, Mich.
- Miami – Fort Lauderdale
- Richmond – Petersburg, VA
- Minneapolis – St. Paul
- New York
- Cleveland – Akron
- Greenville – Spartanburg, S.C.. Asheville, N.C.
- Albany – Schnectady – Troy, N.Y.
- Knoxville, Tenn.
Mosquitos can transmit viruses. Your best bet to prevent bites, according to Orkin, is to follow a few simple tips.
- Use EPA-registered mosquito repellents when necessary
- Replace outdoor lights with yellow “bug” lights
- Wear loose, layered clothing
- Install window and door screens
- Keep doors closed, including pet doors
- Seal around air conditioning window units
- Remove standing water from gutters, buckets, and other containers
- Change water regularly in bird baths and wading pools
- Keep pool water treated and circulating