This report is from our sister station WRIC in Richmond, Virginia.
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The summer of 2015 may be remembered as the year of the shark. That’s what some are calling it after another attack Wednesday off the coast of the Outer Banks That brings this years shark attack count to seven along the coast of North Carolina
At least one shark expert now says it’s time to close the beaches.
A trail of blood marked the spot of the seventh shark attack in less than a month off the North Carolina Coast. Experts say seven attacks shatters the record for the number of attacks there in a year. Last year, all together, there were just four all summer.
“What we’re talking about here isn’t the normal situation,” said George Burgess with the Florida Program for Shark Research.
Such a serious situation that the Frausto family says their beach vacation this year is canceled.
“We’re not going, we rather keep the kids safe,” said mother Christina Frausto.
She and her family typically vacation near the Rodanthe Pier at the Outer Banks, the exact spot of an attack over the weekend. Her daughter Laila, who just finished first grade, is more terrified than disappointed.
“To me, it’s really scary,” said Laila Frausto as she fought back tears.
Burgess says, in his opinion, the beaches need to be shut down.
“The area near Hatteras, where these last three attacks have occurred, are clearly in positions right now where there has been recent activity I think it may be wise to keep people out of the water in those areas,” said Burgess.
But why the spike in sharks?
“The water temperature is warm, the salinity are high, the salt contents are high, there are lots of food fishes in the inshore waters right now. There’s sea turtles nesting and of course big sharks like that,” said Burgess.
The good news, Burgess says, the attacks shouldn’t happen much longer.
“It will stop, this isn’t going to go on all summer,” said Burgess.