NORTH CANTON, Ohio (AP) – At a northeast Ohio water treatment plant, chlorine was inadvertently mixed with fluoride in a container making it dangerous to breathe the air and sending four people to hospitals, fire officials say.
The mixture was limited to the container, but caused the chemical reaction Monday morning at the North Canton Water Treatment Plant, Jackson Township Fire Chief Tracy Hogue told The Repository newspaper in Canton.
The threat was contained to one room at the plant, officials say, and posed no danger to the city’s water supply. Officials say the water is safe to drink.
A truck delivered the wrong liquid chemical to the plant container, according to a news release from North Canton. The plant was evacuated and the truck driver and three plant employees were taken to hospitals. Their conditions weren’t known Tuesday.
Emergency responders urged people in the area surrounding the plant to remain inside and warned drivers to avoid nearby roads as firefighters investigated the scene.
The SunPro Company was getting rid of the chemicals Monday afternoon. Cleanup was expected to take most of the evening, according to the city.