CANFIELD, Ohio (WKBN) – Students at Canfield’s C.H. Campbell Elementary School were all safely evacuated to Canfield High School late Wednesday morning after smoke from the roof of the building got inside.
High school cafeteria workers had lunch waiting for the 500 students.
Canfield Superintendent Alex Geordan says teachers, staff and students followed the evacuation plan to a tee. “We have procedures,” Geordan says. “We have staff understanding their responsibilities. (An) Evacuation process. Notifications to not only parents but first and foremost safety. Everybody working on the same page.”
The Cardinal Joint Fire District determined that a rooftop ventilation unit malfunctioned, causing the smoke.
That smoke was cleared from the building, and there will be classes at C.H. Campbell on Thursday.