CDC wraps probe into mold at UPMC transplant hospitals

UPMC logo

PITTSBURGH (AP) – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has finished its on-site review of a mold problem at the transplant intensive care unit at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that CDC officials believe three transplant patients who developed mold infections and later died likely breathed in the mold spores instead of having their skin come into contact with mold. That’s important because the hospital network had been focusing on bed linens as a possible source of the problem.

UPMC has said it hasn’t been conclusively determined that the mold led to those deaths. A fourth transplant patient also developed a mold infection and lived.

The CDC is expected to complete a report on the mold issue in a few weeks.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s