LORDSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Workers at the General Motors plant in Lordstown and across the U.S. are voting on a new labor contract Thursday.
Voting began at 5 a.m. and will continue until 5 p.m. Friday. Union members are voting on a new deal that was reached between the United Auto Workers International union and General Motors.
There is an area set aside inside the plant for employees to vote.
Union leaders say the agreement includes significant wage increases, signing bonuses and improved health care.
UAW Local 1714 President Robert Morales said he is optimistic that the new contract will be ratified.
There are 4,500 employees at the Lordstown plant, but only 1,300 of them are union workers.
The details of the tentative agreement include the following gains for UAW-GM members, according to the UAW news release:
- Traditional Employees: All traditional members will receive a 3 percent wage increase for the first year, 4 percent lump sum in the second year, 3 percent wage increase in the third year and 4 percent lump sum for the last year. Traditional employees will receive an $8,000 signing bonus upon ratification.
- In-Progression Employees: The bargaining committee secured a clear path for in-progression members to achieve traditional wages. All in-progression employees are moved to traditional health care plan. In-progression employees will receive an $8,000 signing bonus upon ratification.
- Temporary Employees: The Tentative Agreement includes a lump sum payment of $2,000 for active, temporary employees who have worked at least 90 days prior to the effective date. Temporary employees will receive wage increases and a health care plan.
- SAP of $60,000: The agreement includes a $60,000 bonus for up to 4,000 eligible production employees who retire between Feb. 1 and May 1, 2016, as determined under the normal and early retirement provisions of the national agreement.
- Appendix “A” Rights: Appendix “A” rights will include in-progression employees with two years of seniority as well as eligible in-progression and traditional employees at GMCH, Davidson Rd. and Westchester