DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) — Xylitol is common in candy and gum and is safe for humans, but can be deadly for dogs. It’s important to keep it away from dogs to prevent accidental poisoning.
Dr. Michael Thomsen with Kimberly Crest Veterinary Hospital in Davenport says, “Xylitol is a much more toxic substance and has much more potential for causing serious harm.”
While chocolate toxicity is very common, xylitol toxicity is more serious.
Dr. Thomsen says, “Pretty much every dog that gets into chocolate toxicity, we can save their life. Xylitol toxicity there are dogs that get into that, no matter what we do may end up passing away so it’s much more dangerous.”
Dr. Thomsen says side effects can include seizures or coma, but it’s often hard to tell.
There are different levels of toxicity. If there is any chance that your dog ate something with the ingredient xylitol, assume they did and take them to a veterinarian. It is too dangerous to risk.
Some foods with xylitol include sugar-free gums, some peanut butter, hard candies, and sugar-free candies. Dr. Thomsen recommends owners to check ingredients on all food labels before feeding it to their dogs.
He also warns owners to put any items containing xylitol on a top shelf where dogs can’t reach.