MCCTC evacuated for second day in a row

MCCTC canfield ohio


CANFIELD, Ohio (WKBN) – Students at the Mahoning County Career and Technical Center had their classes interrupted for the second day in a row Tuesday.

This time it was for a battery that started smoking while it was on a charger. Students had to clear the building for about 10 minutes while Canfield Fire crews checked the building, but they are back in class this afternoon.

Monday’s evacuation was due to a suspected problem with a heating unit on the roof on Monday.

Emergency crews were called to the school at about 1 p.m. Monday, and students were immediately evacuated. Regular dismissal occurred since the incident happened near the end of the school day.

On Monday, the Canfield Fire Department and investigators with Columbia Gas narrowed down the problem to a heating unit on the roof.

According to spokesperson Amy Radinovic, the unit was shut down and is not necessary to heat the school. She said tests were done on the unit, and firefighters will do another carbon monoxide test on Tuesday before school begins.

Although no odor was detected, a child not feeling well may have prompted the call to the fire department, Radinovic said. The evacuation was done because of an overabundance of caution, she said.

On Monday, Parent Desiree Ortiz said she was worried when she heard the news of an evacuation at the school.

“I was just at work, and I got a message that all the kids were being evacuated for a leak on the second floor for carbon monoxide, so I obviously hurried straight from work, and everybody was fine I was told,” she said. “That was my main concern.”

One student was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital Mahoning Valley for breathing problems, but no other issues were reported.

Adult evening classes were canceled on Monday.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s