Fifth person dies in Pa. after exposure to bacteria during surgery


YORK, Pa. (AP) – A fifth person has died after being exposed to bacteria during open-heart surgery at a central Pennsylvania hospital.

Brett Marcy, a spokesman for WellSpan Health, tells the York Daily Record ( ) the patient had surgery at York Hospital in December 2014 and died this month.

York Hospital said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked heater-cooler devices used during surgery to infections in eight patients.

The hospital has notified about 1,300 patients who had surgery at the hospital between October 2011 and late July in 2015.

WellSpan Health said it has addressed the issue and there is currently no risk of bacterial exposure. Patients who had other heart procedures aren’t at risk.

The company said the patients who died had complex conditions and the infection was likely a contributing factor.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s