Main St. fence could be taken down in Greenville

Protester at the open the Streets Rally in Greenville, Pennsylvania
Protesters ask officials to open Main Street in Greenville on Nov. 4.


GREENVILLE, Pa. (WKBN) – Wednesday was the 84th day since a section of Main Street was shut down in Greenville. It has cut off traffic to downtown and cut at the heart of the community.

WKBN went back to Greenville for a fourth time since the fence blocking the road was put up and found a spirit of hope that a new plan could actually work to change the situation before Christmas. The fence could be removed within two weeks.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Steph Williams, of Steph’s Corner Pub and Grille. “I wish this would’ve happened two months ago, but I’m not going to complain. The road is going to reopen. We can all return to normal business.”

The portion of Main Street was shut down after the borough condemned the former N.N. Moss building, saying that it presented a danger to the surrounding area. Businesses in the neighboring area have asked the borough to reopen the road, but it won’t do so until the building is demolished.

Progress is coming from behind the scenes and it involves an engineering report that WKBN reported on last month. The final report is due next week, and it is expected to say the building doesn’t need to be demolished, just repaired.

The borough holds a different opinion of the building’s safety. First News showed you the pictures from when it examined the building last month with an engineer, who felt it could collapse. There are others who agree.

“That hole’s been open and all the water going in there, I’m sure things are weakened,” Chuck Hodge said. “If something else gives way and falls in, I’m afraid it’s going to fall forward into the street, and somebody may get hurt or killed.”

Reopening the road has been the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s decision to make, and right now, there is a plan in place that will stabilize the building and reopen Main Street, possibly in time for the Christmas parade next Saturday.

“Without being able to do that for the Halloween parade, my family and I and our friends were disappointed,” said Kathy Leonard, of Kathy’s Kreations. “Thinking that we can do this for Christmas is fabulous. I can’t wait.”

David Ho, a family member of the building’s owner, is going to explain his plans for the building Tuesday morning. First News will have more on that and the road’s scheduled reopening.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s