MCDONALD, Ohio (WKBN) – Not even ten minutes after classes began on Friday, students at Roosevelt Elementary in McDonald were evacuated from the building because of a natural gas smell inside.
McDonald’s Fire Chief, Nick Kish, says that the natural gas levels measured in the building were well below explosive levels, and the doors were open to ventilate it.
Dominion crews were called to investigate and repair some parts to the meter on the line leading into the school.
Firefighters are applauding the quick actions of Roosevelt’s staff, saying that by the time they arrived, the children were already on their way to the high school’s gymnasium.
“Staff did an excellent job as far as immediately notifying 911 when they smelled the natural gas, and then second step while they were actually notifying 911, pulled the evacuation order, got the kids out of the school,” Kish said.
Classes at the elementary school were cancelled for the remainder of the day. The district notified parents right away. Those students who couldn’t get picked up early were fed and taken home on the bus at the end of the day.