COITSVILLE TWP, Ohio (WKBN) – The Coitsville Fire Department and the American Red Cross are assisting a legally blind man whose trailer was destroyed in a Tuesday morning fire.
The fire was reported at a trailer home on Skip Road, just off of McCartney Road, around 5:30 a.m.
One man was at home during the fire, and it was lucky that he safety escaped because he is legally blind, according to Coitsville Fire Chief Chris Manack.
Manack said the man told firefighters that he “felt” the heat and ran outside just before the trailer was destroyed by the flames. Manack said there were no smoke detectors in the home.
“It could have been a lot work,” he said.
The fire department is calling the home a total loss.
Ohio Edison was called to the scene to cut power to the structure.
Manack said he believes the fire is either electrical in nature or caused by a wood burner.
“It was hard to determine, being the damage that was caused,” he said on Tuesday evening.
The Red Cross is housing the man in a hotel and looking into other assistance. Manack said the fire department is also donating some of the proceeds from past steak fry events to help the man get back on his feet.
“We’re a small community, and we like to help our own,” he said.