HUMBLE, Texas (CNN) – A hoverboard two-wheel scooter exploded and caught fire in the middle of a crowded mall in Texas Monday, prompting an evacuation.
According to KPRC in Texas, shocked shoppers pulled out their cellphones to record video as a Deerbrook Mall security guard used a fire extinguisher to put out a hoverboard that went up in flames.
“You could see the stain on the floor that they were trying to buff off, but they couldn’t buff it out,” said David Miller, witness.
Pictures show smoke-filled the first floor of the mall, and the Victoria’s Secret store just next door shut down for the night shortly after the fire.
The board was one of several being sold by kiosk vendor Excel Toys and Board.
In a statement a mall spokesperson said:
This afternoon there was an incident with a hoverboard at Deerbrook Mall which resulted in a small fire that was quickly contained. As a precaution, the Humble Fire Department responded. Thankfully there were no injuries or property damage. Deerbrook Mall remains open at this time.”
Mall-goers questioned the safety of having the popular boards in the mall in the first place considering similar issues happening across the country.
“They are just trying to sell it to you quick and easy and get you up and out of the mall. So me personally, I wouldn’t do it unless I know exactly what I am doing with it,” said a shopper.
A family trying to get a refund on a $400-dollar hoverboard said the man who sold them the popular toy is nowhere to be found and hasn’t returned their calls.
Meanwhile, Deerbrook Mall said it has not yet decided whether to continue to allow the sale of hoverboards in the mall.