VERNON TWP., Ohio (WKBN) – Three people in Vernon Township are without a home Sunday night after a fire destroyed their house.
The fire started around 1:30 Sunday morning from a wood burning stove.
Now, the house on Route 88 is a total loss.
Neighbor Stacy Scharba says her dog woke her up and when she saw the fire, she called 911.
“It was really scary,” Scharba said. “I’ve lived by these people all my life, for 40 years.”
The Burghill-Vernon Township fire chief says it’s important to pay close attention to wood burning stoves during the winter season.
This is the second fire caused by these stoves in the last month.
One person was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation. There were no other injuries.