SALEM, Ohio — Firefighters battled a house fire on E. Eighth Street Wednesday afternoon.
They were called to 319 E. Eight St. just before 5 p.m. for a fire which started in the basement and was ruled accidental, the Morning Journal reports. All of the family members in the home owned by Richard Dennison, Sr., including his wife Doris and two sons, got out before firefighters arrived. A family dog was also safe.
The fire quickly spread to the first floor, and the Morning Journal reported that smoke damage was throughout the home.
The fire began in the basement, and family members thought they had extinguished it with water and a cloth, but the fire later spread.
The family is staying in a hotel while fire investigators determine damages.
Firefighters did have some trouble putting out the flames with a fire hydrant on the street and are investigating to determine whether cold played a factor.