Chipotle to start push to win back customers in February

Customers in Boardman respond to the E. coli outbreak affecting some Chipotle restaurants.

NEW YORK (AP) – Chipotle says it will start a marketing push in February to begin its road to recovery after a series of food scares, and that it’s confident it can win back customers over time.

The remarks from executives come after Chipotle’s sales plunged 30 percent in December. Its troubles began after an E. coli outbreak came to light at the end of October. Several weeks later, norovirus sickened dozens at a Chipotle in Boston.

Last week, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. said it was subpoenaed by federal authorities as part of a criminal investigation tied to a different norovirus outbreak in California over the summer.

At an investment conference in Florida, Chipotle executives said Wednesday the Denver company is taking measures to reduce the risk of another food scare to “near zero.”

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s