MAHONING TOWNSHIP, Pa. (WKBN) – Several fire departments worked Tuesday to fight a fire at a house in Mahoning Township in Lawrence County, Pa.
The fire broke out around 8 a.m. at a house in the 4800 block of W. Main St. Five fire departments responded to the scene and had it under control by about 9:30 a.m.
Firefighters said a 90-year-old woman owns the property, lived on the first floor and was renting out the second floor, where it appears the fire started.
“There was nobody home at the time, possibly a space heater. We don’t know for sure. The fire marshal, he’ll do his investigation,” Mahoning Township Fire Chief Andrew Kushma said.
The frigid conditions were a serious concern for firefighters, as ice was everywhere. Although Kushma say the turnout gear firefighters wear keeps them pretty warm, temperatures in the single digits and ice all over the ground quickly became another hazard.
“Our brothers and sisters, we don’t want them to get hurt so they are watching our backs and we are watching theirs. Plus, we have the immediate problem – the house fire,” Kushma said.
At one point, road crews were brought in to spread salt to keep areas around the fire equipment from getting too slippery.
The fire did not hurt anyone.
Firefighters said this is the fourth or fifth house fire they’ve responded to just this month, including the blaze Monday in North Beaver Township as well as a fire in Poland last week.
The State Fire Marshal is investigating.