NEW YORK (AP) – The parents of a 6-year-old New York City boy who disappeared decades ago and was declared dead have asked a court to throw out a wrongful-death judgment against a longtime suspect.
Etan Patz (AY’-tahn payts) disappeared in 1979. His father got the judgment against Jose Ramos and sent Ramos messages asking what he’d done to Etan.
But the parents said Wednesday they’re now convinced the killer is more recent suspect Pedro Hernandez. Hernandez was tried last year, but jurors deadlocked.
Hernandez and Ramos deny killing Etan, who vanished while walking to a bus stop and became one of the first missing children pictured on milk cartons.
Ramos is a convicted Pennsylvania child molester. He was investigated in Etan’s case but wasn’t charged.
Hernandez is from Maple Shade, New Jersey. He confessed but says his admission was false.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)