BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – A blown electrical jumper caused a power outage in Boardman that affected stores and shoppers Monday morning.
The outage happened around 7:30 a.m. and caused some businesses on state Route 224 between South Avenue and Market Street to lose power.
First Energy Spokesperson Mark Durbin said a jumper located on a pole at Route 224 and Southern Boulevard malfunctioned, causing the outage.
About 250 customers were initially impacted, mostly businesses. Power was restored by 10:40 a.m.
Mike Taylor, store manager at T-Mobile, said he arrived at the store at 8:30 a.m. and power went out a half hour later. He said most of the surrounding businesses were also without power, so customers were understanding.
“Sometimes this happens from occasion to occasion,” he said. “We have a procedure where we take down people’s names and numbers so we can call them and tell them when the power’s back on and that they can come back into the store.”
The outage caused a few small fires at some businesses in the Shops at Boardman Park, according to Boardman Fire Chief Mark Pitzer. He said the outage caused several HVAC units on the roofs of the businesses to overwork and catch fire. Pitzer said the Boardman Fire Department had been putting out the fires, as well as checking the units to ensure they were working properly.
“You have those units overheat, and what we’ve found is that some have caught fire. So we’re taking a proactive approach right now,” he said.
Part of Route 224, west of Market Street in Boardman going toward Canfield, was down to one lane of traffic for part of Monday morning.