POLAND, Ohio (WKBN) – Warm spring weather might be bad news for skiers, but it’s great for golfers.
Several golf courses in the Valley are open for the season as of Monday, March 7.
There were only a handful of people at the Reserve Run Golf Course in Poland when the course opened at 8 a.m. Friday. Course officials said there were 50 people scheduled to play Monday, and they have already booked 100 for Tuesday.
“I’m retired, and I have a great group of guys who are retired also. We have two types of days — good and better — and today’s one of the better days we’re out on the golf course,” said Ted Yates, a regular golfer at Reserve Run.
Reserve Run has been rolling the greens for three days to smooth out the bumps. It started cutting the grass in the fairways Monday afternoon and will mow the greens on Tuesday, just like it does mid-season.
Golf is especially driven by good conditions. Last year, the season was spoiled by a rainy June.
Golfers say they are happy with an early start to the season this year.
“Well, this really helps for everybody, because last year was a really tough year. We rallied at the end of the year, but this helps everybody in the financial situation,” said golfer Scott MacDonald.
Here’s a look at some golf courses in the area and when they open, as of March 7, 2016, organized, generally, by geographical location, from north to south:
- Squaw Creek in Vienna: Open
- Avalon Golf and Country Club in Warren: Indoor golfing, open year-round
- Northwood in Warren: Open
- Avalon Lakes in Warren: Opens April 1
- Pine Lakes in Hubbard: Open year-round, official golf kickoff: March 25
- Oak Tree Country Club in West Middlesex, Pa.: Opens March 8
- Buhl Park in Sharon, Pa.: Open
- Mill Creek in Youngstown: Par 3 course to open April 4; North course closed until March 23, tentatively, south course to open on April 11
- Rolling Hills in Pulaski, Pa.: Open
- Kennsington Golf Club in Canfield at Westford Place: Open
- Diamond Back Golf Course in Canfield: Open
- Reserve Run Golf Course off Western Reserve Road in Poland: Open
- Knoll Run in Lowellville: Open
- Links at Firestone in Columbiana: Open from sunup to sundown
- Turkana in East Liverpool: Open from sunup to sundown
The following golf courses are closed for the season:
- Candywood in Vienna (closed permanently)
- Copeland Hills in Columbiana (closed permanently)
- Mohawk Trails (closed permanently)