YOUNGSTOWN (WKBN) – Thunderstorms are usually on the increase during this time of year, and Storm Team 27 is always monitoring radar to help keep you safe. What if you’re caught outside, during a storm?
There are a few lightning myths Storm Team 27, would like for you to forget.
- Crouching down outside, during a storm, helps reduce your risk of being struck by lightning. (MYTH)
- Find a sturdy building or get into a hard-topped vehicle. (FACT)
- Rubber tires can help protect you from a lightning strike. (MYTH)
- It’s the metal roof and metal sides of the vehicle that actually protect you. Another reminder is motorcycles and convertibles offer no protection from lightning. (FACT)
- Seeking shelter under a tree helps protect you from lightning. (MYTH)
- According to the National Weather Service, hiding under a tree is the second leading cause of lightning deaths. (FACT)
For more information, and more lightning myths, be sure to check out The National Weather Service’s Lightning Safety Homepage.