Name: John A. Boccieri
City of Residence: Poland
Party Affiliation: Democrat
Office Desired: Ohio House 59th District
Why should you be elected
I feel I should return to the Ohio House of Representatives because I have the greatest experience and record of accomplishments for the Mahoning Valley. Over the terms I’ve served in the Ohio House and Ohio Senate, I’ve been able to build relationships around the state to help our community move forward. I’ve helped draft and pass legislation which created a community college for our region, helped provide funding dreams for our local airport which is integral to the success of a major Air Force Reserve installation and passed legislation which creates the Military Injury Relief Fund for Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. Additionally, I’ve helped the region develop and progress business incubators that helped create jobs and expand entrepreneurial enterprises.
Top three priorities
1) Better funding for crumbling roads, bridges and public buildings.
2) More resources for worker re-training and placement initiatives for employees searching for work or displaced by bad trade deals.
3) Better accountability for charter schools and public school reforms.
- John Boccieri was appointed back to the Ohio House of Representative in 2015 to fill an unexpired term in the Ohio House 59th District.
- John is also a First Officer with United Airlines on the Boeing 737 based in Cleveland, Ohio.
- John serves as an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Evaluator Pilot aboard the C-130 aircraft.
- He currently serves at the 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown Joint Air Reserve Station as the 757th Airlift Squadron Commander.
- He previously served as squadron commander for the 773th Airlift Squadron and deployed Squadron commander in Southwest Asia for the 746th and 737th Expeditionary Airlift Squadrons.
- LtCol Boccieri completed a tour of duty from 2009-2011 at the Pentagon in Washington, DC working as a staff officer for Chief of the Air Force Reserve, Lieutenant General Charles Stenner coordinating strategic communication and strategic planning.
- He deployed in 4 rotations to support our troops in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom from 2003-2005.
- Boccieri has served our nation in over 40 countries and has 18 years of service in the U.S. Military.
- In addition to wearing the uniform and serving our country, LtCol Boccieri served as a United States Congressman, Ohio State Senator and an Ohio State Representative holding elective office from 2001-2011.
- In the 111th Congress, Boccieri served as the Vice Chairman of the Aviation Committee helping to improve airline safety and pass legislation enhancing veteran’s benefits.
- As a State Legislator Boccieri authored the Military Injury Relief Fund helping our Ohio veterans injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Born in Youngstown, Ohio, John Boccieri is the son of Rosemary and Nicholas Boccieri. John attended St. Bonaventure University in New York graduating with honors and a degree in Economics. He also won a baseball scholarship and received athletic and academic honors as an All-Conference player in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
While on active duty, Boccieri continued to pursue his interest in government by earning masters degrees in public administration and business from Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri. Boccieri holds membership in the National Guard Association for Ohio, the Air Force Reserve Officers Association, Mahoning Valley Veterans Memorial Association, American Legion Post 737, AMVETS, Lifetime VFW member and is a member of the Knights of Columbus and attends St. Paul the Apostle Church.
John Boccieri received the Merle Shoemaker award for integrity in office by Ohio Democrats, and was recognized as the Legislator of the Year by the AMVETS and East Central Ohio Education Association in 2004. He received the Legislator of the Year (2006) award from the Ohio League of Sportsman for state conservation efforts.
John is married to Stacey Kennedy Boccieri and blessed to have 5 children.