AUSTINTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Those living in the Fox Run Apartments in Austintown were evacuated Tuesday morning after a fire started in one of the apartments.
Austintown Fire Chief Andy Frost contributed the safe evacuation of all of the residents to one man who was living in the apartment complex, who awoke to heat and smoke and alerted many people living there. That man also led the firefighters to the origin of the fire — a stove where fire crews said items — not food — were piled.
“It could have been a whole lot worse… things went very, very well for us,” Frost said, adding that the fire was extinguished quickly.
Michael Lewis, said he awoke to heat and instincts kicked in.
“I was kind of dozing off in the living room, and noticed that it started getting a little hot. I woke up, and it didn’t feel right,” he said. “Opened the hallway door, noticed a lot of smoke, put on some clothes, started pounding on doors, trying to get as many people and pets out as possible.”
Another woman, who was driving by, also helped people in the apartment evacuate by knocking on doors.
“I was taking my daughter to school, and I was driving by and I saw a whole bunch of smoke, so my instinct was to stop and make sure that everyone was OK,” Betsy Little said.
The woman said it seemed like everyone escaped uninjured. She called the man who notified everyone of the fire a “hero.”
The apartment complex is located on N. Raccoon Road. Two of the buildings in the complex were evacuated, and the apartment complex is trying to find temporary living arrangements for those who were affected, according to Frost.