Poland superintendent offers apology over field trip dispute

Superintendent David Janofa explains the reasons behind Monday's field trip issue

Superintendent David Janofa explains the reasons behind Monday's field trip issue


POLAND, Ohio (WKBN) – Poland Schools Superintendent David Janofa responded to claims made by a student, who said he was bullied after bringing state law into question.

“The oversight falls directly here, there’s no question. I’m the district superintendent, and I’m responsible for everything that happens here,” Janofa said.

The student, Jeffrey Vrabel Jr., questioned the Poland Schools Board of Education Monday about whether students should be paying for educational field trips. Vrabel said under Ohio Revised Code, schools can’t charge a per-pupil charge. He said when he asked why students were being charged for two field trips, those trips were canceled.

Vrabel said he has been bullied by other students after a teacher told the students that it was his fault that the trips were canceled.

Janofa said the issue was addressed prior to Vrabel questioning the policy, however. He explained how he found out about the discrepancy and the steps he’s taking to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.

“It was brought to our attention from the state transportation department who had called our transportation supervisor. So the transportation director notified the principal of the building that both trips were being scheduled. The principal then came and spoke to me, and that’s how it all started,” Janofa said.

However, students did get to take one of the two field trips in question.

“The second trip really was canceled because it didn’t meet the criteria of our policy, extending the classroom to real life. So that’s why the second one was canceled,” he said.

Janofa said it’s unclear how long this had been going on, but in this situation, the students didn’t pay to attend the field trip.

“Once it was brought to our attention, we corrected it. The one was paid for by fundraising, so there was nothing to reimburse, the second one wasn’t taken so we didn’t collect any money,” Janofa said.

He also said it’s absolutely not something they want a student to be pinpointed over, especially because they were made aware of the discrepancy through other channels before Monday.

“We have certainly touched base with the individual to ensure there’s no ramifications on their end or that sort of thing,” Janofa said.

With two weeks remaining in the year, school officials said they will continue to make sure all students receive the out-of-the-classroom experience of educational field trips, as long as the funding and criteria match school policy.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s