Laptop sparks mattress fire in Oregon apartment

Laptop was plugged in, left on foam top mattress

A laptop sparked a mattress fire in the bedroom of a 3-year-old child on Monday morning in Hillsboro. The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire) The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire) Hillsboro Fire and Rescue say the apartment in the Quatama Crossing complex suffered limited damage because sprinklers had extinguished the fire.
The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A laptop sparked a mattress fire in the bedroom of a 3-year-old child on Monday morning in Hillsboro.

The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)
The laptop overheated and the mattress caught fire, June 13 2016. (Hillsboro Fire)

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue say the apartment in the Quatama Crossing complex suffered limited damage because sprinklers had extinguished the fire.

The family was woken by a fire alarm and escaped unharmed. They pulled the alarm for the rest of the complex to alert other residents.

Investigators say the laptop was plugged in and overheated, causing the foam top to ignite.

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue advises laptop users to unplug all appliances when not in use. If charging laptops overnight, be sure to leave them on a noncombustible surface or on a cooling pad. Lithium-ion batteries are known to generate high heat when in charging cycle. 

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s