PITTSBURGH (AP) – An autopsy report for a transplant patient who contracted a fungal infection while at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center indicates he suffered from the same type of mold linked to other deaths.
UPMC has said 56-year-old Daniel Krieg’s death was not directly related to the fungal infection but was caused by pneumonia. He became the fifth known UPMC patient with a fungal infection to die since 2014 amid a federal investigation into mold cases at the health system’s facilities.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports an autopsy listed the cause of death as “multiorgan failure due to sepsis due to pneumonia.” It says he suffered from bacterial and fungal pneumonia.
The autopsy says the removed lobe of his lung contained rhizopus, a form of mold.
UPMC officials declined to comment Wednesday.