Springfield, MASSACHUSETTS (CNN) – A 12-year-old girl called 911 from a home at 182 Ambrose Street in Springfield around 12:30 Sunday after finding four women who were unresponsive.
“They lucky they alive,” said Sprinfield resident Jose Agosto.
“It’s awful it’s happening more and more every day,” said Diane Rocheford.
Springfield Police Lt. David Kane said the women had apparently overdosed on heroin. Police, fire and emergency crews arrived shortly after the call and found two of the women had pulses while two did not.
All four were given the opiate reversal drug naloxone, commonly called by the brand name Narcan. The women quickly became alert and able to walk. All four were rushed to nearby hospitals, which included Mercy Medical Center and Baystate Medical Center.
Lt. Kane said the group of women had apparently gone out before returning to the home and overdosing, having left a group of three to four preteens and teenagers alone at the home playing video games in one of the upstairs bedrooms.
Detectives found drug paraphernalia and evidence that will be taken to labs to test the purity of the heroin or if it was mixed.
Neighbors down the street said it’s alarming to see the opioid epidemic hit so close to home.
“Scary, it’s scary,” said Rocheford. “This is a quiet neighborhood, and you think that people would not do that. But how many cases have there been when the parents are passed out and the kids are sitting there behind them? The whole thing is just awful, it really is a bad epidemic. It’s got to stop.”
“It’s bad for everybody. It’s killing people like crazy, and sometimes parents no thinking about it,” said Agosto.
Police notified the department of children and families. Lt. Kane said no criminal charges have been issued yet.