Columbus man arrested while allegedly trying to join ISIS

According to a federal complaint, Aaron T.Daniels wired $250 to an intermediary for Abu Isa Al-Amriki, a deceased ISIS member and recruiter in early 2016

Aaron Daniels was arrested at an airport in Columbus, Ohio and charged with trying to join ISIS.

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force arrested a man Monday at the John Glenn International Airport who they believe was trying to join ISIS.

Aaron T. Daniels, also known as Harun Muhammad and Abu Yusuf is accused of providing or attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization.

Daniels, 20, appeared in federal court in Columbus Monday afternoon, where he was ordered held without bond until a bond hearing Thursday at 9 a.m.

According to a federal complaint, Daniels wired $250 to an intermediary for Abu Isa Al-Amriki, a deceased ISIS member and recruiter in early 2016.

In earlier electronic communications during the fall of 2015, according to the complaint, Daniels inquired about traveling to Syria and Afghanistan to “do jihad.”

Daniels allegedly told an undercover FBI agent that he wanted to travel to Trinidad and Tobago as the beginning of his trip to to Libya.

The complaint notes that Daniels bought a ticket from Columbus to Houston, Texas and on to Trinidad and Tobago before ultimately ending up in Libya.

“We acted [Monday] because Mr. Daniels was about to board an airplane leaving Columbus and it was going to go on a circuitous route, but we believe that the ultimate destination was Libya, where he would intend to be a fighter for ISIL,” said Benjamin Glassman, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio.

At the airport Monday night, travelers were concerned by the news.

“It shows it’s real,” said Tom Monte, who was traveling from Dallas to Columbus on business. “I mean, the threat is real, and we’ve obviously got to do something about it.”

Erin Pfeifer, who was traveling from Colorado to Columbus, said it makes her nervous about airports.

“It’s scary, cause I’m glad they were able to stop this one person but how many others are there and how are we going to stop them?” Pfeifer said.

Daniels’ case will be heard by a federal grand jury, which will decide whether to indict him. If convicted, Daniels faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Daniels’ mother provided a photo of her son in a graduation cap and gown to NBC4 on Monday, but she said she did not want to speak to NBC4.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s