Investigators: Ravenna murder suspect couldn’t run far

Investigators said David Calhoun, Jr. went as far as shaving his long hair and hiding in a vacant Steubenville home to evade capture

David Calhoun, Ravenna triple homicide

If you’re reading this story on the WKBN app, you can watch the full press conference on Calhoun’s arrest at

RAVENNA, Ohio (WKBN) – A suspect accused of killing three people in Ravenna was on the run for more than a month before he was captured by U.S. Marshals on Saturday. 

Investigators said David Calhoun, Jr. went as far as shaving his long hair and hiding in a vacant Steubenville home for two days to evade capture.

U.S. Marshal Peter Elliot said he couldn’t escape for long, however, after his photo was plastered on billboards around the city. As the search for Calhoun continued, a $10,000 reward was offered for information leading to his arrest.

It was tips from the community that eventually led to his capture, Elliot said.

“You can run but not hide, and this is a perfect example. We tracked this guy daily since November 30,” he said.

Calhoun is accused of shooting and killing 32-year-old Sarah Marsh and 33-year-old LaShaun Sanders at a house on Henderson Road in Ravenna. Marsh was 10 weeks pregnant at the time of her death.

For now, Calhoun is charged with one count of aggravated murder related to the shooting of Sanders. Portage County Sheriff David Doak said he expects more charges against Calhoun will be filed.

Family members of Sarah Marsh said Calhoun’s arrest was a relief.

“It won’t bring her back, but I know that he is going to be held accountable for what he’s done. That’s a good feeling right there,” said her mother, Karen Marsh.

Marsh said while she asks herself why her child was killed, she said it could happen to anyone.

Police said previously that they believed there was bad blood between Calhoun and Sanders. Marsh’s family said Marsh didn’t know Calhoun, and Marsh was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Investigators aren’t commenting on the relationship between Calhoun and Sanders at this time.

Marsh’s brother, Rick Latimer, said he is grateful that the community called investigators with tips.

“We’re thankful for everyone that participated, the tips that were given — the community that came forward to give the support to ultimately lead to his arrest,” he said.

Monday, Calhoun appeared on video for his arraignment. A $3 million bond was set, and Calhoun remains in the Portage County Jail.

A preliminary hearing was scheduled for January 13.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s