CHAMPION TWP., Ohio (WKBN) – What crews thought was just a truck fire turned out to be a gas well fire, sending flames dozens of feet into the air.
Crews were called about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday to a house off of Templeton Road on reports of a semi truck on fire.
When they arrived, they found an Asplundh tree trimming truck fully engulfed in flames.
Firefighters said the truck clipped a gas line, rupturing it.
“Upon arriving, we found a commercial tree service vehicle that slid off the driveway a little bit and took out a gas line,” said Fire Chief John Hickey.
They quickly realized a natural gas line was feeding the flames through a broken well head or meter because the fire would not go out.
Atlas Gas and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources turned off the valve Tuesday afternoon. It took a while for the gas pressure to fully drain out of the transmission line feeding the supply line.
“It’s a standard natural gas well. It’s a private one for the property,” Hickey said.
Once the natural gas stopped flowing, firefighters were able to put the rest of the fire out by about 1:30 p.m.
No injuries were reported.
The truck, the gas head, and a nearby utility pole were damaged in the fire.
Crews worked through the afternoon to clean it up.
Champion Twp. gas well fire
Champion Twp. gas well fire x