LONDON (AP) – The Latest on the suicide bombing at a pop concert in Manchester (all times local):
Police in Manchester say they have arrested three more men in connection with the suicide bombing at a pop concert that killed 22 people.
They said Wednesday the arrests had been made in the south of the city, where a day earlier a 23-year-old man was also arrested and a number of homes were searched.
Police are trying to establish if bomber Salman Abedi acted alone or whether there could be a risk of further attacks.
Israel’s defense minister says he doubts the devastating bombing in Manchester will have any impact on European counterterrorism tactics because of the continent’s “politically correct” character.
Avigdor Lieberman says every bombing in Europe results in much talk, but little action. He told Israel’s Army Radio Wednesday the problem is extremism among Muslim youths who are not integrated into society.
He said nothing will change until these residents are ready to adopt “universal, European values.”
At least 22 people were killed in Monday evening’s attack at an Ariana Grande concert. The bomber, Salman Abedi, was British-born and of Libyan descent. The official threat level in Britain has since been raised to its highest point.
Lieberman says Israel and Britain enjoy close intelligence cooperation and Israel offered its assistance following the attack.
Prime Minister Theresa May is chairing a meeting of her emergency security cabinet, known as Cobra.
The Downing Street meeting is dealing with intelligence reports about the investigation into Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi.
Police and intelligence agencies are trying to determine if he was part of a network that may be planning further attacks in the coming days.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd has criticized U.S. officials for leaking information about Abedi to the press as the investigation is unfolding.
Poland’s foreign minister says that a Polish couple were killed in the concert blast in Manchester.
Witold Waszczykowski said Wednesday the couple came to collect their daughters from the Ariana Grande concert Monday night. The daughters were unharmed.
He did not give the couple’s names, but the daughter of Marcin and Angelika Klis has been publicly searching for them since the explosion.
Waszczykowski also said that another Polish citizen was wounded and had undergone surgery in a hospital.
Germany’s interior minister has ordered that flags on federal government buildings be flown at half-staff following the attack in Manchester.
Thomas de Maiziere’s ministry said Wednesday that flags will be lowered to half-staff for the day on Wednesday. It described the order as “a signal of sympathy and solidarity after the cruel attack in Manchester.”
At least 22 people were killed in Monday evening’s attack at an Ariana Grande concert.
British Home Secretary Amber Rudd says Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi was known “up to a point” to the British intelligence services and police.
She said Wednesday the investigation is continuing and declined to provide further details about Abedi, whose improvised bomb killed 22 people at a pop concert in Manchester.
Rudd says Britain’s increased official threat level will remain at “critical” as the investigation proceeds.
France’s interior minister says that the suicide bomber who targeted Manchester is believed to have traveled to Syria and had “proven” links with the Islamic State group.
Gerard Collomb said on BFM television Wednesday that British and French intelligence have information that British-born attacker Salman Abedi had been to Syria. He did not provide details, and said it is unclear whether Abedi was part of a larger network of attackers.
Collomb, who spoke with British Prime Minister Theresa May after the attack at an Ariana Grande concert that killed 22, said the two countries should continue cooperating closely on counterterrorism efforts despite Britain’s pending exit from the European Union.
With France still under a state of emergency after a string of IS attacks, French President Emmanuel Macron is holding a special security council meeting Wednesday.
Britons will find armed troops at vital locations after the official threat level was raised to its highest point following a suicide bombing that killed 22.
Officials say soldiers will be deployed to places like Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street and Parliament. They will replace armed police as Operation Temperer takes effect Wednesday.
Officials believe this will free up police to fight the threat of further extremist action against civilian targets, amid fears that another attack may be imminent
Police are trying to determine whether suicide bomber Salman Abedi acted alone when he set off his explosives at the end of a pop concert at a Manchester arena. The government Tuesday night raised the threat to “critical”, its highest level, following an emergency Cabinet session.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)