Police say gunfire between houses triggered Youngstown SWAT situation

Police said one person started shooting at a house across the Youngstown street and someone at the other house returned fire

SWAT situation on Auburndale Avenue in Youngstown

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Police are looking for people who they say were involved in a gunfight that triggered a SWAT situation on Youngstown’s south side.

Law enforcement was dispatched to the corner of Auburndale Avenue and Erie Street after reports of shots fired just after 4 p.m. Tuesday. Some of the officers said they still heard shooting as they were arriving on the scene.

“Some of the officers that responded here say that they are in this block quite a bit,” said Youngstown Police Capt. Rod Foley

Police said one person started shooting at a house across the street and someone at the other house returned fire. The gunfire lasted at least 30 seconds, police said.

“There’s multiple [shell] casings. I’m going to say at least 10 to 15 at this point. It could be a little bit more than that,” Foley said.

Investigators said it looks like the shooting started because of an argument the day before.

“We think it happened from an argument that happened from the previous night. A verbal altercation that somehow turned into a gunfight this afternoon,” Foley said.

There were reports from neighbors that the first shooter ran back inside and that some people might be in the houses, so the SWAT team was called.

“There was no one in the house, either one of the houses that we searched,” said Jeff Saluga, with the SWAT team.

Police are still looking for the original shooter and possibly one other person.

Another person in the house said he was shot at and admitted to returning gunfire, according to police. He turned over a weapon and was taken in for questioning, but investigators said he’s cooperating.

As far as police know, no one suffered gunshot wounds. They don’t know if the people they’re looking for were hit with any bullets.

No one has been charged.

The road was blocked and a crisis negotiation team was also on the scene Tuesday evening. Foley said they never had to use the negotiators because both homeowners allowed police inside.

This is the second day in a row SWAT has been called to a scene in Youngstown.

Monday afternoon, a SWAT team and negotiator were at a home on Kensington Avenue for a standoff that lasted two hours. Joseph Derrico was arrested and later charged with robbing a bank in East Liverpool.

“Two days in a row is a little unusual, yes. It’s not something that we deal with all the time,” Saluga said.


WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s