Crews act quickly to put out fire at IHOP in Boardman

A worker at IHOP says the restaurant will be closed at least through breakfast on Monday, but the restaurant hopes to open later in the day

The IHOP breakfast restaurant on Boardman Poland Road caught fire Sunday evening.

BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – The IHOP breakfast restaurant on Boardman Poland Road caught fire Sunday evening.

It will remain closed on Monday due to damages.

Crews were called to the scene at 7:53 p.m. and put out the fire in about one hour.

Officials say the fire was started by a cigarette butt in mulch outside of the building.

“It appears that a cigarette butt in the mulch caught the mulch on fire and it ran up the exterior of the wall in the front,” Boardman Fire Chief Mark Pitzer said. “We were able to prevent it from expanding throughout the building.”

Pitzer said there were no injuries and everyone exited the building safely.

Police closed parts of Boardman Poland Road while putting out the fire, but they have been reopened.


Video sent to WKBN by Thomas Batten

.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s