Officers cleared in shooting of suspect near Howland Giant Eagle

Prosecutors said the actions of Richard Latimer were consistent with characteristics of suicide by cop

There was a shooting investigation at the Howland Giant Eagle.

WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) – Prosecutors released a 20-page fact-finding report on Wednesday, clearing officers of any wrongdoing in February’s police-involved shooting at the Howland Giant Eagle that killed the suspect. 

The document details a series of events that led to the shooting, including the murder of Van Blevins at his Weathersfield home.

The February 7th shooting led to a lockdown of a Mineral Ridge High School basketball game while police searched for the suspect, Richard Latimer.

READ: Prosecutor’s report (Warning: Graphic language)

Prosecutor Dennis Watkins said Latimer’s actions and noncompliant behavior toward officers that night are consistent with characteristics of suicide by cop. A case against the officers involved will not be presented to the grand jury.

Through their investigation into these events, charges of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice were filed against 34-year-old Tina Davis.

According to the report, Davis told Howland police that her boyfriend, a man she knew as “Richard Writzes,” asked to borrow her handgun. It was the same one Latimer used to kill Blevins and had in his possession when he was shot and killed in the parking lot.

It also says Davis told investigators that Richard came to her apartment frantic after the murder and told her he just shot someone.

The report goes on to say that Richard told Davis he needed to get the gunshot residue off his hands, so they drove to Dollar General, where Davis and her 8-year-old daughter went inside and bought paper towels and bleach.

Latimer’s wife, who said she witnessed the shooting, ran to Taco Bell and called 911 to report it.

He was later spotted near the Giant Eagle, where he was shot by police officers.

Davis pleaded not guilty to the charges at her arraignment Wednesday morning and was released on $20,000 bond.

She’s due back in court next month for a pre-trial.


WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s