SHARON, Pa. (WKBN) – A Sharon woman who was bit by a spider is lucky to be alive after police officers came to her aid with an EpiPen earlier Friday morning.
Police Chief Gerald Smith said 47-year-old Chrissy Zomparelli was found in front of a N. Oakland Avenue home. She went into shock after being bit by a spider, which she’s allergic to.
“I was taking my pen with me, and I came out here,” Zomparelli said. “When I hit it, I’m like, ‘I didn’t feel the pinch.’ And I looked and it was the tester.”
Officers said she was rolling back and forth on the ground, gasping for breath, and holding the back of her neck. Though she couldn’t talk, police were able to figure out she was having an allergic reaction.
“[An officer] kind of yelled over to me that she needs an EpiPen,” said Lt. Michael Albanese of Sharon PD. “He was pointing to the house across the street.”
Albanese ran to the house and got an EpiPen from Zomparelli’s friend. He’d never used one before — so he took off the cap and stuck Zomparelli in the thigh.
The pen didn’t work.
“Within seconds we figured out that there was a little safety on it,” Albanese said. “And then at that time I struck her thigh again and it went off. Probably within a second you could see she was getting her breathing back.”
Officers found two large bites on Zomparelli’s legs. She spent the morning in the hospital.
“I’m alive and I’m glad I get to see my boys and my dad and my loved ones,” Zomparelli said. “God bless those officers. They made a difference in a lot of people’s lives today.”
Albanese says all officers should get training on how to use the EpiPen and keep one in the squad car.
“It’s kind of like Narcan,” he said. “It’s out there, we have it now. EpiPens are out there. We should have them too.”