Red Cross warns of fire dangers from heating sources

Heating equipment fires are the second-leading cause of home fires

room heater generic

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – With temperatures starting to dip, many people are turning up the heat inside of their homes.

Before you do that, however, the American Red Cross is reminding you of some safety tips:

  • First, give your heaters space. Keep your kids, pets and anything that’s burnable at least three feet away.
  • If you use a space heater, put it on a level floor that won’t burn, like ceramic floor instead of carpet.
  • Also, make sure you get your stoves, fireplaces and chimneys inspected each year by a professional.
  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
  • Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
  • Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment fires are the second-leading cause of home fires (cooking is the first) and are responsible for 19 percent of home fire deaths.

You can learn more about fire safety by visiting redcross.org/wpahomefire or by downloading the free American Red Cross Emergency App from your devices’ app store.

.

WKBN 27 First News provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. No links will be permitted. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s