GIRARD, Ohio (WKBN) – A Girard apartment caught fire Saturday night after cooking french fries were left unattended.
The apartment is located on Churchill Road. The fire happened around 7:30 p.m.
Officials say a small grease fire started when a man cooking french fries left them unattended for a short time. The Girard Fire Department put out the fire within minutes.
Because the kitchen area was destroyed, the two tenants could not spend the night there. They said their dog Rocky ran away when firefighters arrived, so they were out searching for him until 2 a.m.
On Sunday, one of the family members called WKBN saying Rocky was found.
The family member said a neighbor heard Rocky barking in the early morning hours and saw him sitting on the front porch of the apartment. After taking Rocky in for the night, the neighbor called the family in the morning to return him.